Josephine County volunteer tax preparers have helped low- to moderate-income taxpayers by maximizing their income tax refunds.
- Over 30 IRS certified volunteers assisted clients in our Grants Pass, Cave Junction, and Rogue River.
- Over the past 4 years, a total of almost $6 million in refunds went back into the pockets of Josephine County individuals and families, both young and elderly.
- Included in those refunds were thousands in Earned Income Credit, Child Tax Credit and Education Credits. These are Credits that can uplift our community.
Become a Volunteer!
This program depends entirely on people like you to help prepare tax returns free of charge for our community. And, there are various ways to volunteer: Tax Counselor, Scheduler, Greeter.
No experience is necessary! Training is free and expert mentoring provided. Learn more of each below.
WE ARE NOW CLOSED
We will be ready to take appointments the 2022 Tax Year in mid January, 2023
Appointments are VERY Limited
We will have 3 ways to help you with your IRS and Oregon return. All these methods will help you file both your federal and Oregon tax returns free of charge. The choice depends on your comfort and ability to use technology (smart phone and/or computer) and the internet.
Limited Drop Off Appointments
With our limited drop off appointments, we are trying to address the needs of low income and those without computers and internet. As a guideline, if your income is $73,000 or greater, perhaps consider a paid preparer or try one of the online services.
Do It Yourself with a Virtual Coach
|What you need||
|Type of Return||
Drop Off (available in GP and Cave Junction)
|What you need||Phone that will be answered from a number we provide|
|Type of Return||
Less complex returns within our Scope. That means, no Broker Statements, no house sale, no education (1098-T)
|What you need||
|Type of Return||All returns within TaxAide Scope|
TAX UPDATES & TIPS
For Your Interview...
You will need at your ready.
- Photo ID and Social Security Card or other proof of the Social Security Number — THIS IS NEEDED — NO EXCEPTIONS! Medicare Card is NOT proof.
- Copy of last year’s tax return — VERY IMPORTANT! Don’t have? Click Here to get a transcript from the IRS before you have your interview appointment.
- Birth dates and Social Security Cards for all members of household
- 1095-A if insurance purchased through Healthcare.gov
- All income documents and statements: Social Security, W2s, 1099s, pension, IRA, broker, etc. Does your Social Security include a lump payment for previous years? Have copies of the tax returns for each and every previous year noted.
- Medical expenses, listed by individual: insurance premiums, doctors, dentists, nursing homes, prescription, eyeglasses, hearing aids, medical equipment (Doctors and pharmacies can provide a list). Don’t forget mileage for medical appointments. Download the Deduction Organizer
- Charitable Donations, including mileage for volunteering.
- Mortgage and mortgage insurance premiums
- Real estate taxes
DO YOU NEED TO FILE?
You only need to file a tax return if your income is over a certain amount or if you qualify for certain credits and refunds, or if you have certain information that needs to be reported.
Whether you need to file based on income depends upon your filing status, what your gross income is, and how much tax was withheld from your income. Rather than list all the options here, it’s easier to go to the IRS web site to work through a series of questions to get the answer. You can file, even if you don’t have to, but be aware that you may be using an appointment that someone else really needs.
For most people who cannot be claimed as a dependent this table will suffice. But, if married filing separately and lived with spouse or if half of social security benefits plus tax-exempt interest plus gross income is greater than $25,000 ($32,000 if married filing jointly), or if you are a dependent and have income, then use the IRS web site instead.
Do not include social security benefits in gross income for this table.
|TAX YEAR 2021 FILING STATUS||AGE ON 1/1/2022||GROSS INCOME WAS AT LEAST:|
|65 or older||$7,790|
|Married filing jointly||under 65 (both)||$13,175|
|65 or older (one)||$14,175|
|65 or older (both)||$15,175|
|Married filing separately||any age||$5|
|Head of household||under 65||$8,265|
|65 or older||$9,465|
|Qualifying widow(er) with dependent child||under 65||$9,185|
|65 or older||$10,185|
You must file if :
(yellow italics means you will need to go to a professional tax preparer)
- You had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400.
- You received an advanced premium tax credit to pay for health insurance and/or advanced child tax credit (new this year!).
- You owe any special taxes, including any of the following.
- Social security and Medicare tax on tips you did not report to your employer or on wages you received from an employer who did not withhold these taxes.
- Recapture of first-time homebuyer credit.
- Write-in taxes, including uncollected social security and Medicare or RRTA tax on tips you reported to your employer or on group-term life insurance and additional taxes on health savings accounts.
- Alternative minimum tax.
- Additional tax on a qualified plan, including an individual retirement arrangement (IRA), or other tax-favored account. But if you are filing a return only because you owe this tax, you can file Form 5329 by itself.
- Household employment taxes. But if you are filing a return only because you owe this tax, you can file Schedule H by itself.
- Recapture taxes.
- You (or your spouse, if filing jointly) received HSA, Archer MSA or Medicare Advantage MSA distributions.
- You had wages of $108.28 or more from a church or qualified church-controlled organization that is exempt from employer social security and Medicare taxes.
You should file if:
- You had income tax withheld from your pay.
- You made estimated tax payments for the year or had any of your overpayment for last year’s estimated tax applied to this year’s taxes.
- You qualify for the earned income credit.
- You qualify for the additional child tax credit.
- You qualify for the premium tax credit.
- You qualify for an American Opportunity Credit.
- You receive a 1099-B and the gross proceeds plus other income exceeds the filing limits.
- You receive Form 1099-S, Proceeds From Real Estate Transactions.
- You qualify for the refundable credit for prior year minimum tax.
- You qualify for the federal tax on fuels.
WHAT RETURNS WE DO
Here is the list of Tax Forms that we can prepare for you
- 1040 with Schedules A (Itemized Deductions — Download Deduction Organizer), B (Interest & Ordinary Dividends), and D (Capital Gains and Losses)
- Schedule C (Business) up to $25,000 expenses, no employees, no inventory, no losses, no depreciation
- Schedule EIC and EIC Worksheets (Earned Income Credit)
- 1099-NEC with Box 1 nonemployee compensation reported on Schedule C
- 1099-MISC with Box 1 Rents (Land Only), Box 2 and 3
- 1040-ES – Estimated Payments
- 2441 – Child & Dependent Care
- 5405 – Repayment of First Time Home Buyer Credit
- 8283, Section A, Part 1 – noncash contributions to charity exceeding $500 but are less than $5,000
- 8606 – Nondeductible IRA Part 1
- 8812 – Additional Child Tax Credit
- 8863 – Education Credits
- 8949 – Sale or Disposition of Assets
- 9465 – Installment Agreement
- 8379 – Injured Spouse
- 1040X – Amended Returns back 3 years
- Schedule K-1 for only interest, dividends, capital gain distributions and royalties
- Cancellation of Dept — 1099-A and/or 1099/C and Form 982
- Health Savings Accounts – 1099-SA and Form 8889
- Affordable Care Act: Premium Tax Credits
Locations for Drop Off Packet Pickup:
- Download Packet here
- Make an appointment here
Grants Pass Packet Pickup (starting 1/24/22):
- UCAN: 900 SE 8th St. Monday-Saturday 10:00AM – 2:00PM
- Call 541-223-9597 for an interview appointment at UCAN – or make an appointment here
Cave Junction Packet Pickup (starting 1/24/22):
- Illinois Valley Family Coalition: 534 E River St
- Call 541-592-6139 for an interview appointment at IV Family Coalition – or make an appointment here